Tuesday, November 13, 2007

red light district

or as the locals call it,the Walletjes or Zeedijk

thought it would be a bit of a challange to paint the red light district of amsterdam,expected a lot of hassle,bouncers checking me out,the girls wanting payment for my pleasure,but none of that,ooh the dutch,they are so liberal...

still got in a mess though,it was too dark and the red lights made it impossible to see the difference between white and yellow,back home i totally reworked it,so this is 50/50 plein air and studio...so if the dutch police didn't arrest me the plein air police might...
painted this with my trusty little pochade/sigare box,oil on panel 5x8"

4 comments:

René PleinAir said...

It got mood Rob, although not 100% plein air it a fine piece.

rob ijbema said...

if its got mood i'm happy
cheers mate

Anonymous said...

Rob, I found you originally through the Wet Canvas post about Trevor Chamerlain's pochade, and then you mentioned your pochade... I need a pochade! Please, tell us more about yours.... I'm in "research" mode...

rob ijbema said...

well db
there are some pics on my blog of my little pochade box,also the tc thread at wc's got plenty of info
if you put pochade into he search at wc,all the info you need will come up...
i made mine from a little box i got from the works shop in the UK,
but you can easely buy ready made boxes over the internet,
if you got any specific questions please don't hesitate...